Thanks to our Duke of URLs for digging this up - and thanks to Pat, wherever
she is now.

Since the 'second Satyricon' is an English translation, there is of course
little doubt about which text the epigraph to TWL is borrowed from.
Whether Eliot had also read the bawdy version can only be speculated, I
guess.

PS: I'd like to second recent calls for a minimum of consistency in the
choice of subject lines. I know this isn't the list's forte...

Yours,

RaphaŽl