> On Sunday a Rev'd Hawthorne from England gave a talk on Hegelian
> influence on Eliot.  It was probably the most fascinating talk of the
> meeting.  He was interested in Hegel's influence on Eliot's ideas on
> culture and society and also showed direct borrowings of TSE from Hegel
> in "Four Quartets".  Some of the most known and loved lines in "Four
> Quartet" turn out to be direct borrowings from Hegel.  ("time before and
> time after", etc)

I'll be looking forward to the published version too, but I'm always a bit
sceptical about assertations of 'direct borrowings from Hegel'. Hegel's
influence on the concepts of time and history was so vast that it is
difficult to pinpoint where Hegelian ideas got borrowed from - Hegel himself
or '''Hegelian''' writers.
Since Eliot was a trained philosopher who had studied under Bradley, there
is no doubt that he had first-hand experience of Hegel. How much direct
influence there was on the poetry is more debatable. I would certaily agree
that 4Q has quite a few '''Hegelian''' echoes, but did Eliot actually borrow
whole phrases from Hegel's texts?
BTW, did he read Hegel in the original or in translation?

Yours,

RaphaŽl