Jennifer Formichelli wrote:

> Third, I can't agree with any of the following reasons for selecting the
> quotation, because none of them seem to me either in TWL or in the situation
> from which the quotation is extracted.
>
>   ) a trapped woman
>

> Yours, Jennifer

Jennifer,

In addition to the responses to several other items in your list provided by Nancy,
I'd like to add that trapped women also seem to be present within TWL.
I guess that does depend on how one defines trapped, and I would say a woman
in a cage (the Sibyl) is perhaps more directly trapped than the female figures
in the poem. But I've always seen Lil for example as a young woman--"only
thirty-one," trapped in a body that "look[s] so antique, " and equally trapped
in a set of circumstances that leave her few and dangerous reproductive
choices--either "nearly die" as she did of "young George" or take the "pills"
to "bring it off" and indeed "never [be] the same." I recognize that's not the same
or as severe as an actual imprisonment like the Sibyl, but poor Lil seems
to have little room to maneuver to say the least.

                                                                       --Greg--