Nancy Gish wrote:

> I think these may not be opposing points, but Eliot was extremely aware
> of the condition of Europe, not least from reading Hesse while at Lauzanne
> and being very impressed with it.

I think (but I'm not sure) that Eliot read Hesse's 'Blick ins Chaos'
earlier and then wrote Hesse.  At any rate, here are some notes I took
recently:

Hermann Hesse: Pilgrim of Crisis, a Biography
Ralph Freedman
Pantheon Books, NY
Copyright 1978 Ralph Freedman
First edition
ISBN 0-394-4181-2

Page 239:

Eliot's interest in Hesse was largely confined to "Gazing into Chaos."
Eliot visited Hesse in Montagnola while TSE was in Switzerland.
HH wrote to TSE 2 months previously (in French) to extend an invitation.
Eliot published "On Recent German Poetry," one of the essays in
   "Blick ins Chaos," in his first edition of "The Criterion" (Oct. 1922.)
TSE had only a vague memory of the meeting with Hesse.
Hesse never wrote anything on Eliot.
Hesses' view could never have appealled to Eliot's orthodoxy.