Steve, here are some thoughts I have on the epigraph. I'm not really
able to connect them in a coherent fashion so I'm not going to try.

You were commenting on the differences in the epigraphs that Eliot
chose and saying that the Conrad quote is more inner directed.  While
that may be true there is a certain similarity in the two also.  We
are told by someone else of the pain each suffers though a short quote
of their's--"The horror" and "I want to die."

Although there are quotes from Kurtz and Deiphobe we are really
getting the story from another person.  I'm seeing a difference
between these and the Prufrock epigraph.  In TWL we are also getting
stories, many of them.  With the original title we could more easily
see that there was a person behind the stories, the same person.

The horror of Kurtz was what he was doing to others.  The horror of
Deiphobe was what she had done to herself.  Either might be the lesson
of TWL.  I guess I lean toward the narrator of TWL being more Deiphobe
than Kurtz.

I think the Conrad epigraph does a better job of trying to get one
inside the mind of the dying person that does the Petronius but that
is what Conrad had in mind while Petronius was having fun.

I started wondering why I was using "Deiphobe" here instead of "the
Sibyl."  I'm thinking that perhaps it is because I'm wanting to get to
the person and "the Sibyl" turns her into an object.

Regards,
    Rick Parker