First the Fisher King -- there are various stories on him.  I think in
a least one he dies when he and then the land are healed.  The king is
dead, long life the king!

Steve Pollock wrote:

>   In discussion I have had with a friend studying the classics, he
> claimed that the banquet scene in the Satyricon is meant as an attack
> on phony intellectualism, and specifically lampoons those who use
> fragments of literature out-of-context, without any real understanding
> as to their underlying meaning. If this is correct, it would seem to
> have direct relevance to TWL ...

Oh, nice!

>    I'm beginning to think that the epigraph serves many purposes,
> including pointing the reader (via the Sibyl of Cumae reference) to
> the Aeneid. It is in the Aenied, specifically at Cumae, that the Sibyl
> leads Aeneas into the underworld to search for his dead father -- and
> THAT, I think, has very interesting parallels to TWL.
>
>     Comments would be greatly appreciated, as I am certain the TWL
> epigraph is much more than it appears to be, and I am trying to
> understand where this all leads.

Here's a few thoughts:

Aeneas meeting his dead father:
        He also meets his abandoned love Dido
        Try connecting with these lines in TWL:
                Musing upon the king my brother's wreck
                And on the king my father's death before him.
        Is there a weird connection between Dido and brother such
        as the connection between Phlebas and the hyacinth girl?

Fragments:
        Both Deiphone and Eliot wrote in fragments

Visiting the dead:
        Some equivalence to resurrection?
        Usually done by memory.
        Dante

Golden bough:
        To visit the underworld of the Sibyl Aeneid had to fetch a golden
        bough.  To visit the underworld of Eliot we have to have "The Golden
        Bough."

Thinking of Aeneas and Dido falling in love in TWL (or draft) we have these
other cases of being instantly smitten:
        Tristan and Isolde
        Paolo and Francisca
        The hyacinth girl
        Perhaps others in the myths:
                Apollo and Hyacinthus?
                Venus and Adonis?

Betrayal: (Deiphobe made an agreement with Apollo, prophesy for sex
and she reneged, Apollo then gave her long life without youth in
retribution.)
        Deiphobe-Apollo
        Vicar of Wakefield
        Acteon-Diana (a stretch)