In a message dated 10/21/02 1:18:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Also in the question of poplar or poindexter, I think SJ Gould fits in. .
. From where comes the notion that pointy-heads are the only ones who
can
be intellectual?  Is it the damning of McCarthy raising his head again?

Michael

I meant that Gould has the same problem Ambrose does and, really, Longfellow and Tennyson. . . namely that it is extremely difficult to be respected as an considered an intellectual when you are also very popular.
I think that this idea [popular=bad] (which seemed to flirt around in the 50s with McCarthyism) has gained momentous momentum again, as the fires of McCarthyism are also once again being stoked.
I used the terms "pointy-head" and "poindexter" to give what is, sadly, still the stereotype of an intellectual.

Sorry for the extremely offensive and disturbing remarks.

Michael