[log in to unmask] wrote:

> ... it appears that Bloom in his inimitable way does focus
> attention upon literature.

What evidence do you have that anyone reads Bloom (or Sainte-Beuve)
other that those whose attention is _already_ upon literature? I'm not a
great admirer of Northrop Frye, but he has a point when he argues that
most "defenses of poetry" are read only by those who are already safely
within the ramparts. (Early in _Anatomy_, I think. I'm just paraphrasing
from memory.)

Carrol Cox