Dear Marcia,

I will send the poem if I can find it, or what the reviewer quoted of it.

I agree with your statement:

MK: Mightn't a metaphor both contract and extend the actual?  Aristotle's
(was
it his?) "the ship plows the waves" draws attention to an aspect of the ship
that is outside usual attention and reminds us, as well, of the farmer and
the
land (extension), but it narrows attention (contracts) to that aspect.

JF I think that is a good way of putting it, and thank you for your example.
All I meant to say was that metaphor cannot afford to ignore the actual.

Yours, Jennifer