PM> If the epigraph's meaning/feeling/sensation
PM> suffuse the poem, then it is IN the poem.

JF> If the epigraph is IN the poem, then it is not an epigraph.

With this epigraph discussion going on about with the epigraph is in
or outside the poem maybe someone can have fun with this epigraph I
just came across.  It is the epigraph to Steven Hudson's translation
of Hermann Hesse's essay "The Brothers Karamasov" as print in the
June, 1922 issue of "The Dial" magazine.  I didn't see the epigraph in
a German reprint of the essay. (Thanks go to Gunnar for his
translation of the otherwise untranslated German):

Nichts ist auszen,
Nichts ist innen,
Denn was auszen ist,
Ist innen.

Nothing is outside,
Nothing is inside,
For what is outside
Is inside.

;-)

If anybody is really interested in this maybe they should compare it
to Eliot's note in TWL quoting Bradley.  Maybe I'll get to that some
day myself.

Regards,
    Rick Parker

P.S.  Gunnar says that "auszen" should be "aussen" but the epigraph
definitely uses "auszen."