Date sent:              Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:42:12 +0100
From:                   Sara Trevisan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                OT: McDonalds
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Rickard wrote:
>At the webpage is a picture of the first restaurant and it displays a
sign saying (with no apostrophes):

 MCDONALDS
  FAMOUS
 HAMBURGERS
______________________________

Thanx, Rickard -- that is just what I meant to make notice of. Indeed, I
too checked out the sign this afternoon, and it says McDonald's. Which is
exactely like "newsagent's" or "chemist's".

My previous statement was just that native speakers often 'forget' about
the gentivie-s, when it's in a very common name or expression. That is
very typical of streets -- if you go to London, you'll find St James / St
James'/ St James's Street or Park or whatever. When there is final s and
no apostrophe, it may mean it was intended in the form of an adjective --
which could be the case in McDonalds Hamburgers.

Anyway -- it's just spelling, nothing to worry about. But clearly, most
people -- even Nancy, as I seemed to understand from one of today's posts
-- saw McDonald's as a whole (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

-- Sara