I think these may not be opposing points, but Eliot was extremely aware
of the condition of Europe, not least from reading Hesse while at Lauzanne
and being very impressed with it.
Nancy

Date sent:              Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:23:04 -0500
From:                   "Earls, JP" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: TWL epigraph (TWL, not capitalism)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Steve,
Eliot himself (in "Tradition and the Individual Talent") thought that
references to earlier works in a present work changes the meaning of the
earlier work.  Your question has to be read, I believe, in light of that:
no one who knows TWL can read this passage in the Satyricon without
shading it in tones of the decay of Europe after WWI.

J. P. Earls, OSB
St. John' University
Collegeville, MN  56321