Nancy,
Explain, please? Your "Of course not" refers to Peter's statement, "Does
that mean there was no meaning for all those millions of years of oral
culture before spelling came along?" and would seem to say, "Of course
there was meaning for all those millions of years of oral culture before
spelling came along?"

But then you add, "AND there were spellings." I think "millions" may
exaggerate, and "meaning" as itself an (abstract) object of inquiry may not
arise, in the first place, until there is spelling . But surely there was
oral communication that long preceded "spelling"; or should I seek a refund
on my entire Walter Ong collection?

Ken Armstrong