From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 11:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New Yorker

Article argues that you cannot tell a poet by his or her spouse/lover et
cetera.  I thought the article might dissuade further analysis of the
individual artist; and direct scholarship more towards an explication of the
artistry not of Eliot but his poetry.  Not quite sure if that is possible in
this media-besotted age, but hopeful.  (And, if I know this list, it is
probable that my last comment will trigger more replies than the
penultimate.)  My apologies in advance:  I have just thought since my
teenage years that Eliot's poems have a great "voice."
Best,
Eugene Schlanger