     After reading about some of the egregious bird call errors on "ER,"
etc., I wanted to point out one case where the filmmakers got it right. Did
anyone else see the new TV commercial for the Silverado pickup truck during
Sunday's St. Louis Rams debacle? It opens with a great (but brief) shot of a
sandhill crane apparently being startled by something, which turns out to be
a herd of (presumably) wild horses thundering across the plain. The horses
then stop to admire the cowboy's Silverado.
     I immediately recognized the scenery in the background as being the
Grand Tetons, as I just returned from a visit there. Grand Teton was
prominently shown, and I also recognized the adjacent peaks. So this was a
case where Hollywood (or the commercial producer, anyway) showed a great
bird in the correct habitat. I saw three sandhill cranes feeding in the Flat
Creek Marsh in the National Elk Refuge on the outskirts of Jackson, Wyo.,
just at the entrance to Grand Teton NP. It was cool to see some nice
photography of one in the commercial, even if the bird shot only lasted a
second or two.
     Someone mentioned the voice-overs that use red-tailed hawk call for
bald eagle. "Northern Exposure" always opened with the sound of a red-tailed
hawk calling, but I'm sure most viewers thought it was supposed to be an
eagle. I can recall at least one episode where eagles were featured (when
Joel's Mom got interested in eagles, fell off a cliff and glided like an
eagle to the ground), and if I recall correctly, they again used the
red-tailed hawk call to represent the eagle's voice.

Steve Whitworth, Glen Carbon, Madison County, IL