Dear Kate,
You write: "And everyone waits in line.  He probably became a British citizen because the class system in Britain lasted longer and had more influence than in America."
Let me correct you. First of all, no one in Britain 'waits in line'. They queue up.

Secondly, the fact that the class system lasted longer in Britain is simply not true. (nor do you, as usual, produce any facts to substantiate your, as usual, widely unacceptable conclusions). The British class system is also a much different thing than the American one. I am not aware that either is deceased. And I rather think there was more to Eliot's decision to take British nationality.

Jennifer