Nancy (And others)

I think, I may have posted this already  a while a go, but I'm not sure:

Of course Fussell is the classic on the Topic. What I found a very good read in addition to Fussell is an article in the Journal of Modern History By Ted Bogacz, "A Tyranny of Words" Language, Poetry and Antimodernism in England in the First World War."
(JoMH 58 (Sept. 86): 643ff.

On Eliot, Bogdacz mentions that "Symbolically, the young T.S. Eliot contributed to The Nation's effort to get at the truth about the war. In the June 23, 1917 issue appeared the following brief note:"..."

The note by TSE accompanied a letter sent to TSE from a young front officer, which Eliot wanted to get published by the Nation

Getting at the truth of war is an attitude that is very much in line with writers like Owen ("True poets must be truthful"). To my understanding the big difference is that Eliot did not regard this search  for the "truth" of war, understood a more or less realistic depiction of it, as a basis for poetry.

Frank