> Has anyone bothered to look into why it is
> that the women are talking of Michaelangelo, rather
> than, say, Rafael, or DaVinci or say the lastest mod.
> art rage?

Possible reasons (in random order):

1. Rhyme and meter: 'Michaelangelo' ends with 'o' and has quite a few
syllables. See also Nacy's post on this.

2. Michaelangelo was suspected of murder ('there will be time to murder and
create').

3. Michaelangelo's interest in the male form. Pace Steve, I don't really see
it as part of a homoerotic subtext. But there is an ironic contrast between
the power of the male bodies in Michaelangelo and the women's civilised
conversation. Compare with Yeats in 'Under Ben Bulben' (1938):

    Michael Angelo left a proof
    On the Sistine chapel roof
    Where but half-awakened Adam
    Can disturb globe-trotting Madam