It was not funny, and for that reason I too am surprised it came from Gunnar.  I'm not surprised due to the offensiveness of it, however: Gunnar is an equal opportunity offender, I have observed, who (it is clear to me) bears no malice and therefore feels no fear of appearing malicious.  The internet is a dangerous medium for one with such an attitude, and therefore people sometimes get the wrong idea.

My two cents.  By the way, to tie this in to Eliot and Poland, I recently came across a copy of Pilsudsky memoirs that, someone recently noted, Eliot had mentioned.  Any recollections as to what Eliot had to say about them, or more detail than already provided as to where, would be appreciated.

Tom K