From: Peter Montgomery

> BTW rolling trousers came in at about the time Prufrock
> was written. It was a statement of youthful rebellion.

That's an interesting take on the line. When I was first introduced to the
poem, the lecturer suggested another explanation: as Prufrock imagines he is
shrinking with age ('I grow old'), he starts adatping the content of his
wardrobe to his diminished stature. In that case, 'rolled' should be
interpreted as 'hemmed in' - not quite convincing, perhaps.
Have you got a reference for rolling trousers as a sign of rebellion? Would
white flannel have been rebellious as well? Another possibility: rolling the
bottoms of one's trousers was an obvious thing to do before venturing onto
the beach.

Yours,

RaphaŽl Ingelbien