Peter Montgomery wrote:

> I have recently obtained the Temple Classics volumes
> of the Commedia. They say nothing about what translation
> is used. Anyone know?
>
> Thanks in advance, Rickard. ;->

You're welcome.  I had to use the web but here is what I got.

The name P.H. Wicksteed pops up in a number of places including some now
lost webpages of essays written by Pat Sloane.  Then H. Oelsner shows up
sometimes and T. Okey even less.  The name Wicksteed rang a bell and so
he is likely one of the translators because I can't place him for
anything else.

Searches for the various translator's names in association with Temple
and Dante might provide more convincing proof but Pat's mention of
the annotation by Wicksteed and Oelsner is the clicher for me.

Here are some URLs and what the files say:

http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/currentunder/bibliographies/fhs-fs-renaissance_italy.pdf

H. Oelsner, P.H. Wicksteed and T. Okey (Temple Classics, 18991901).
The most compact and still useful.

http://www.essex.ac.uk/literature/Current/Teaching/Undergraduate/Undergraduate/lt343.htm

Primary Texts

Dante, Commedia. [The most convenient paperbacks in print are probably
The Divine Comedy, trans. C.H. Sisson (Oxford UP, 1963, reprint 1998)
and The Portable Dante, ed. and trans. Mark Musa (Penguin, 1995). Look,
however, in second-hand bookshops for other editions, particularly for
now out-of-print translations by Philip H. Wicksteed in the old Temple
Classics series (Dent, 1899 often reprinted through 1926 and beyond), or
individual volumes of the six-volume edition translated with a
commentary by Charles S. Singleton (Princeton University Press, 1977,
reprint 1989), or by Geoffrey L. Bickersteth (Basil Blackwell, 1981),
which have the great advantage of printing the Italian text facing the
English translation. Also good are the now out-of-print Oxford
individual volumes of the three cantiche, ed. with English translation
by John D. Sinclair.]

Regards,
    Rick Parker