Date sent:              Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:25:56 +0100
From:                   Jennifer Formichelli <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                On epigraphs: Reply to Peter/Reply to Nancy on hysteria/Reply to Rick
                on Hayward
To:                     [log in to unmask]

From Peter M:

To use the concept
from "Tradition and the Individuqal Talon", they
modify each other. Sweeney Ag. has changed the
meaning of the original epigraphs as much as have
the epigraphs inserted themselves INTO the poem
 -- like a virus even.

JF: I agree with the first part of this assessment. I fail to understand
the last comment, 'like a virus even', however. I dissent however from the
idea that epigraphs insert themselves into the poem; first because
epigraphs don't insert themselves, second because I maintain the
autonomy
of poem and epigraph, and 'in' does not seem to me the correct preposition
to describe the relation. I agree however that the relation is one that
both takes and gives back (in Eliot's case anyhow). As I result, I cannot
quite agree with : PM: "er "Prufrock" be without the Danté epigraph? They
are joined at the hip."

JF: Joined yes, but not embedded. (Incidentally, there is no accent in
Dante's name.) ************************************************** To
Nancy,

I never meant to imply that you had not done the work on 'hysteria', and I
hope you will accept my apology if that is what I seemed to imply. My
point was that I disagree with the way you are using your material: how
does it, for instance, elucidate the poems?

As for assumption, it seems to me that to say that the mention of hysteria
in Sweeney Erect is 'a direct comment on the epileptic' is assumptive. A
lot of readers have been quick off the mark about this, and I think it
bears some thinking about (which the poem's semi-colon, at least, is

I concur with you that Hayward is unlikely to have been told of the
marriage between TSE and Valerie. I believe Eliot's solicitor was
instructed to deliver a letter to him about it on the day of the marriage
(so he would know in advance of newspaper reports), and that after this
affair their relations did turn quite cold. Yet Hayward always proved a
faithful Watson to Eliot's Holmes, and Eliot and Mrs E continued to speak
warmly of him and to send him Christmas cards until Tom's death.

Yours, Jennifer