From Peter M:

To use the concept
from "Tradition and the Individuqal Talon", they
modify each other. Sweeney Ag. has changed the
meaning of the original epigraphs as much as have
the epigraphs inserted themselves INTO the poem
 -- like a virus even.

JF: I agree with the first part of this assessment. I fail to understand the
last comment, 'like a virus even', however. I dissent however from the idea
that epigraphs insert themselves into the poem; first because epigraphs
don't insert themselves, second because I maintain the autonomy of poem and
epigraph, and 'in' does not seem to me the correct preposition to describe
the relation. I agree however that the relation is one that both takes and
gives back (in Eliot's case anyhow). As I result, I cannot quite agree with
:
PM: "er "Prufrock" be without the Danté epigraph?
They are joined at the hip."

JF: Joined yes, but not embedded. (Incidentally, there is no accent in
Dante's name.)
To Nancy,

I never meant to imply that you had not done the work on 'hysteria', and I
hope you will accept my apology if that is what I seemed to imply. My point
was that I disagree with the way you are using your material: how does it,
for instance, elucidate the poems?

As for assumption, it seems to me that to say that the mention of hysteria
in Sweeney Erect is 'a direct comment on the epileptic' is assumptive. A lot
of readers have been quick off the mark about this, and I think it bears
some thinking about (which the poem's semi-colon, at least, is requesting).
To Rick,

I concur with you that Hayward is unlikely to have been told of the marriage
between TSE and Valerie. I believe Eliot's solicitor was instructed to
deliver a letter to him about it on the day of the marriage (so he would
know in advance of newspaper reports), and that after this affair their
relations did turn quite cold. Yet Hayward always proved a faithful Watson
to Eliot's Holmes, and Eliot and Mrs E continued to speak warmly of him and
to send him Christmas cards until Tom's death.

Yours, Jennifer