RaphaŽl Ingelbien wrote:

> On a related theme: When I last resubscribed after a period of absence
> this summer, I noted that the instructions no longer include anything
> about etiquette.

During the summer the list server software was changed.

The T. S. Eliot Discussion List Frequently Asked Questions File at
http://web.missouri.edu/~tselist/tsefaqq.html has this on etiquette:

3. GUIDELINES FOR POSTING:

    TSE is an unmoderated list, which means that we don't screen your
posts before they are distributed to the list of subscribers. We would
like to keep it that way. It is in the interests of all us on the
list, therefore, to adhere to a few basic guidelines based largely on
netiquette:

       1. We encourage wide-ranging discussions about any aspect of
T. S. Eliot's works or life, in addition to works (including our own)
about Eliot and related topics (Modernism, etc). Queries are always
welcome. The best informal criterion is simply that a post's subject
matter should be likely to be of interest to people interested in
Eliot.

       2. Readers of all levels are welcome, from novices to
established authorities. Accordingly, a spirit of mutual respect and
tolerance must prevail in our responses to one another. This does not
mean that we are not free to disagree and even to express our
disagreements vehemently; but such expressions must stop short of
personal attacks.

       3. Students submitting queries should remember that this list
is made up of private individuals who post to it in their free
time. Although posts from high school and college students have
usually been thoughtful in every sense of the word, every now and then
we get a post of the form, "Please send me information about 'The Love
Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.' I have a paper due tomorrow." This shows
little consideration for others' time--and for that matter, little
careful consideration of the subject the poster is writing about. Two
basic suggestions: Make your queries as specific as possible, and Try
to ask questions that will open up discussion.

       4. All posts should carry a descriptive Subject line, and
unless the topic under discussion has shifted. (Most mailers
automatically retain Subject lines if you respond by means of the
Reply function.) The primary reason for using descriptive Subject
lines is consideration: not everyone will be interested in every
discussion we have (strange but true!), and those especially who have
to pay for their e-mail or their time online will appreciate the
option of choosing which posts they want to read. Retaining
established Subject lines also enables list members to read threads of
particular interest to them in sequence.

       5. Replies to others' posts should only quote as much of the
original message as is necessary to establish context. To quote the
entire text automatically is often not only to waste bandwidth but
also to inconvenience your fellow list members.

    Those things said, I should also say that on the whole (one or two
unfortunate lapses not withstanding), discussions on the list over the
past year and a half have been models of consideration and
generosity. We have certainly had our disagreements, and we will
continue to have them; but at our best, we are able to enjoy
them. Quite a few friendships have started on the TSE List. We are in
good company.

    Perhaps the most important principle to keep in mind is that a
list like TSE constitutes a self-governed international
community. When disputes (inevitably) arise, we trust in each other's
ability to speak out, knowing that the rest of us are willing to
listen and to do our best to settle them--because we want the
conversation to go on.

Regards,
    Rick Parker