Sara Trevisan wrote:

> Yesterday I was reading a book on Greek "paideia" and I found this
> wonderful concept:

Here is a more modern concept as defined at
    http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?flame

By the way, no offense is meant by the terms and tone used on the
webpage.  The language is actually tame compared to some other
definitions I've seen.

Troll:
    v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a
posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames;
or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies"
which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in
which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The
well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and
flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already
do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it
is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get
to be in on it.

Regards,
    Rick Parker

P.S. - I for one accept your apology.  Perhaps apologies shouldn't be
so rare.