In a message dated 9/6/2002 3:55:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I mean, not even the Pope here gives a damn about Islam and Allah, why
> should you Americans? What makes you think you're more civilized than
> others? What makes you think you're better than others? What makes you
> think you can rule the whole world?
> Just for you have a stupid president that nobody voted, who sez "too many
> fires?? let's cut some more trees, then"!..?

Maybe because the Terrorists, all fanatical followers of allah, didn't bomb
the vatican; they bombed America.  As for Americans being more civilized and
better than others, I believe that our Constitution, the law of the land, is
highly civilized. I never said we were better than everyone or indeed anyone.
 However, I do say that our American society is more civilized than what one
would find in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc.  I mean, women here can actually
walk in the street without wearing veils; they can work, go to school, go to
the mall; our children are educated.  These basic elements  alone make our
society more civilized than much of the world, unfortunately.  What makes us
think we can rule the whole world?  Maybe because we're doing it.  George W.
is hardly stupid and many people voted for him.

Regards,

Kate