Meyer Robert K wrote:

> That's strange, Marcia.  Isn't Aubrey turn-of-the-century?  Or am I
> confusing people up?  Didn't Aubrey do something with Malory's Morte
> d'Arthur?  Anyway, I thought that the Earl of Oxford theory was a new (like
> the last 20-30 years) thing?
>

> Marcia Karp wrote
>
> Here is the lovely Aubrey on Shake and non-Shake:
>
>      His father was a Butcher, and I have been told heretofore by
>      some of the neighbors, that when he was a boy he exercised his
>      father's Trade, but when he kill'd a Calfe he would doe it in a
>      high style, and make a Speech.
>
>      This Earle of Oxford, making of his low obeisance to Queen
>      Elizabeth, happened to let a Fart, at which he was so abashed
>      and ashamed that he went to Travell, 7 yeares.  On his returne
>      the Queen welcomed him home, and sayd, My Lord, I had forgott
>      the Fart.

Sorry, Robert, for not being more informative.  I was quoting from John Aubrey
(1626-1697) and his brief lives.  There are several editions.  I have Oliver
Lawson Dick's.  But look in Anthony Powell's for the story of the first Duke of
Buckingham (George Villiers) and his astounding behavior during the geometry
lesson given by his tutor, Thom. Hobbes.  I don't know of any connection
between Aubrey and Malory.

I don't know when Oxford was brought forth as "Shakespeare."  You are right
that Aubrey didn't see him that way; I brought the two together.  Aubrey
praises Shakespeare and repeats others' praises of him.