Not only our language, unfortunately, has been, and is being, transformed.  A
friend of mine manages the Publix (supermarket chain) in this town.  He told
me that just in this area of Florida alone, Publix had to layoff 600 people,
and not because of slow business.  Evidently, the 600 had expired visas, etc.
 Most of these people are Mexicans and Haitians who have lived in this
country for years and just want to work and live their lives.  While I was
talking to my friend at the service counter and notarizing a document for
him, the service manager happened to hear some of our conversation and that I
was in the legal profession, and when the store manager went to make copies
of the document I notarized, the service man asked me for some legal advice.
It seems that this middle-aged man is a Canadian citizen, married to a U.S.
citizen and had been living in this country for years.  He never bothered to
renew his Visa or apply for citizenship.  Fortunately, during the recent
check when Publix was demanding to see everyone's Visas to make sure all
employees had legal status, they didn't ask for his; probably, they forgot
that he wasn't American.  I advised him to apply for citizenship at once.
Given his marital status and the fact that he is employed, he shouldn't
encounter any difficulties.  Still, it struck me as almost eerie, this
Canadian guy married to an American actually being nervous about his status.