am 26.9.2002 22:53 Uhr schrieb Peter Montgomery unter

> The thought occurs that English Canada has something close
> to a classless society, much to the chagrin of the richer folk
> who depend on class for their identity, and who frequently
> move to the States for that reason. That classlessness, I surmise,
> accounts for the bland mediocrity of our culture -- the inevitable
> result of a true democracy.
>
> French (Quebec)Canada does have classes, based on politics
> and as defined by a premier of that province in a post-referendum
> speech. There are the Quebecois, the Federalists and the ethnics.
> Economic status is irrelevant to their class system. Quebec culture
> is mostly Parisian translations of US culture.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter.

...and this is a reply to a Canadian!

to the benefit of those poor souls unable to open a jpeg -file (no Mac-users
am ong 'em):

It's a cartoon from The New Yorker, depicting a man and a woman in a
restaurant, with the caption:

"You seem familiar, yet somehow strange -- are you by any chance Canadian?"

Cheers,

Gunnar