In a message dated 9/2/02 8:44:06 AM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask] writes:

But if someone had
told me in order to like poetry one has to analyze it and not, as for
instance by mother has done, invited my to enjoy poetry on an emotional
level, I really doubt whether I would today love this stuff the way I
do.(And this love created, in the end, my academic interest in poetry).

I believe that analyzation is a natural reaction, in fact, to poetry.  However, I agree with you as to the importance of emotional response.  An 18 year old person who is moved by Rod McKuen's romantic vision of beaches will be more inclined to subsequently study more difficult and interesting poetry than a person who has not read poetry at all.

Regards,

Kate