[log in to unmask] writes:

> But if someone had
> told me in order to like poetry one has to analyze it and not, as for
> instance by mother has done, invited my to enjoy poetry on an emotional
> level, I really doubt whether I would today love this stuff the way I
> do.(And this love created, in the end, my academic interest in poetry).

I believe that analyzation is a natural reaction, in fact, to poetry.
However, I agree with you as to the importance of emotional response.  An 18
year old person who is moved by Rod McKuen's romantic vision of beaches will
be more inclined to subsequently study more difficult and interesting poetry
than a person who has not read poetry at all.

Regards,

Kate