In a message dated 9/10/02 3:10:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> In seeking an answer to our future in the war on terrorism we may well think
> back on what T. S. Eliot wrote in the New English Weekly at the start of
> the Second World War. In October, 1939 he noted that the important question
> of the result of the war is "what will win" ...In a sense in which war is
> something that starts with the fighting and ends when the fighting stops,
> we may quite well win this war without ideas. But in that event the
> statement "we have won the war" must be countered with the question "who
> are we, now that we have won it." If it should happen that by some hideous
> metamorphosis we had, in the process of winning become the Germans--or the
> Russians--it would be a very hollow triumph indeed ..."

But we didn't become the Germans. I see your point, however.  We only need to
look at some of the South American countries to learn the value of thinking
it all through before arming a particular side or assisting in putting into
leadership of a foreign government a worse regime that what existed before or
one just as ruthless and immoral.

World War II was obviously justified, more than justified because had there
not been the War, then a tyrant would have controlled the world eradicating
whatever groups of people he didn't like.  As for "who are we now, now that
we have won," I don't believe that after World War II, America had that
thought, although the winning of that war actually brought America to the
status this country now holds.  But, it is a different time.  Now, we cannot
help but that think that.

I believe that there are times when a situation becomes so dangerous that
action must be taken, even if "the end results after the war is won aren't
completely thought through.  Who are we to decide that?  Someone has to.

All of this aside, it is the evening before September 11th.  I've not
listened to any of the media rehash.  Yet, as this evening progresses, I am
becoming more and more upset.

Regards,

Kate