Dear Listers,

Well, Peter denied it, but to my gratification I found this morning the
quotation (which not only bears the toe print but the fingerprint indeed)
that had fuelled in me such detective fever:

It is essential that a work of art should be self-sufficient, that an artist
should consciously or unconsciously draw a circle beyond which he does not
trespass: on the one hand actual life is always the material, and on the
other hand an abstraction from actual life is a necessary condition to the
creation of a work of art.

'Four Elizabethan Dramatists' (1924), Selected Essays, p 111

Yours, Jennifer (assuaged)