am 27.9.2002 17:04 Uhr schrieb Nancy Gish unter [log in to unmask]:

> In a minor link--Eliot was in Germany when WWI broke out and reports
> that at the time he thought Germany was right.  When he got back to
> England, he changed his mind.  He said everyone agreed.
>
> Subject:                Twain on War
>
> Victory of the Loud Little Handful
>
> by Mark Twain
>
> The loud little handful - as usual - will shout for the war. The pulpit
> will - warily and cautiously - object... at first. The great, big, dull
> bulk of the nation will rub its sleepy eyes and try to make out why there
> should be a war, and will say, earnestly and indignantly, "It is unjust
> and dishonorable, and there is no necessity for it."
>
> Then the handful will shout louder. A few fair men on the other side will
> argue and reason against the war with speech and pen, and at first will
> have a hearing and be applauded, but it will not last long; those others
> will outshout them, and presently the antiwar audiences will thin out and
> lose popularity.
>
> Before long, you will see this curious thing: the speakers stoned from the
> platform, and free speech strangled by hordes of furious men...
>
> Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the
> nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those
> conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse
> to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince
> himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he
> enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
>
> Mark Twain, "The Mysterious Stranger" (1910)
> --
> Susan Feiner
> 207 846 5213

Dear Nancy,

amazing what you are able to dig out -- Twain's words, albeit written nearly
a century ago, are of almost scary actuality!

I have noticed your furious objection to the (officially published) figure
of nearly 70 % of the U.S. population in favor of Bush's call for war. Maybe
you ought to join the list of American artists and intellectuals against the
war, "NOT IN OUR NAME" (www.notinourname.net).

There is a rising concern in Europe about the belligerent rhetoric from the
chief of the leading world's nation. As I have mentioned, there have been
huge peace demonstrations in many European capitals, among others in London,
Rome and Madrid. The majority, however, seems to have resigned because of
the apparent inevitability of a pre-emptive strike against Iraq. Bush's
advisor, the awful fundamentalist "Christian" Donald Rumsfeld, has led the
nation into a dangerous one-way street.

Gunnar