A comment on the "O.T." designation of this thread. I haven't quite got
a grip on it, and my hunch may be very wrong -- but I do suspect that in
some way or other this discussion relates or can be usefully made to
relate to _East Coker_. Especially, of course, if one takes the
perspective that I suggested in an earlier post: that the proper
question, at least sometimes, is _not_ "How is X relevant to Poem Y?"
but "How is Poem Y relevant to X?" That is, a major function of
"literature" is to wrench it to the reader's own purposes by 'using' it
as a perspective on actuality, including actualities of which a given
poet may not have dreamed.

For now I won't push the point -- mostly because I can't even be sure I
have a point :-) -- but I thought I'd throw it out.

Carrol