First of all, I do not believe it was a troll.  It is a pattern of remarks that
have every appearance of being meant literally.  Second, I do not think any
individual should ask everyone else to think of Eliot as a thing separate
from all else.  As I said once before, this is a community of thinkers, and
some of the most interesting Eliot material can come from the stimulus of
other topics.  If it were possible to talk ONLY of "Eliot," I am sorry that I do
not know what one could say that was very interesting.

For example, Eliot lived through two world wars.  He lived in London during
the Blitz and during the fires and zeppelins of WWI.  It profoundly affected
him and his work.  It is not surprising that histories of WWI have quoted
early Eliot work to illustrate its impact.  I do not understand how people
who read and think are supposed to disconnect all that we are living
through from our reading of that OR from our exchanges on this list.
Perhaps a more useful response would be to think about just how our own
lives--including our political responses--connect with the poems or with the
cultural commentary.  And that may come after someone has introduced a
topic.  Personally, I would prefer if everyone stopped trying to police
everyone else, but as that seems to be a minority reaction, I suggest the
attempt to connect.
Nancy