Date sent:              Sat, 28 Sep 2002 14:32:46 -0400
From:                   Robert Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Some Queries, was Re: Deluge...
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Carol,

As you may know I was diagnosed with PTSD in April, 2002 caused by
combat
trauma in Vietnam.  There are indeed many forms of PTSD and this illness
affects no two individuals the same.  PTSD was not classified as a
clinical illness until the mid 1980s.

Shay's extraordinary book _Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the
Undoing of Character_ was immediately recommended to me by my
psychologist
and psychiatrist after my diagnosis.  It is my understanding that the
latest research indicates that PTSD is actually a biological change in the
body due to extended periods of time when one's life is in danger.

Bob Summers