Carol,

As you may know I was diagnosed with PTSD in April, 2002 caused by combat
trauma in Vietnam.  There are indeed many forms of PTSD and this illness
affects no two individuals the same.  PTSD was not classified as a clinical
illness until the mid 1980s.

Shay's extraordinary book _Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the
Undoing of Character_ was immediately recommended to me by my psychologist
and psychiatrist after my diagnosis.  It is my understanding that the latest
research indicates that PTSD is actually a biological change in the body due
to extended periods of time when one's life is in danger.

Bob Summers