Dear Nancy,

Did I really say that? Personality does matter, but not so
overwhelmingly:)) And when one dislikes both the poet and his personality,
you just say one dislikes both. As simple as that.

It seems, TSE's way of life was part of his poetical perception of the
world. You won't be able to write Four Quartets unless you are a highbrow
intellectual and a conservative, at least to an extent:-). And to the same
extent disliking the personality does mean disliking the potry. Although
the personality and the poetry are by no means interchangeable.

To say we are impersonal is just a curious way of asserting that our
personality is more deeply involved: the thought is Cleanth Brooks's if my
memory serves me right.

Regards,

TK