From: Rickard A. Parker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 9:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Poetry and Sept. 11: A Guided Anthology by Robert Pinsky

I'll like to post the URL to a new webpage by Robert Pinsky
written to commerate the terrorist attacks on New York and
Washington last year.

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2070444
    Poetry and Sept. 11: A Guided Anthology
    By Robert Pinsky
    Updated Friday, September 6, 2002, at 7:42 AM PT

    The article starts:
        The interest in poetry in the wake of the calamitous attacks
        of last fall surprised some observers. But the art of poetry
        makes the breath of any one reader its medium: a commanding
        appeal, heightened at a time when many of us felt overdosed
        or overwhelmed by mass media.

    Pinski then supplies some commentary and then comments further
    on the following poems:

        Souvenir of the Ancient World
        By Carlos Drummond de Andrade

        The House on the Hill
        by Edwin Arlington Robinson

        Curse
        By Frank Bidart

        September 11
        By Teresa Cader

Last September I believe that I sent the URLs to the following
two Slate articles:

http://slate.msn.com/?id=115900
    Auden on Bin Laden
    By Eric McHenry
    Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001, at 8:30 PM PT

    McHenry wrote a commentary on W. H. Auden's "September 1, 1939" which
    can be read at http://www.poets.org/poems/poems.cfm?prmID=1391

http://slate.msn.com/?id=115850
    Four Poems
    By Robert Pinsky
    Posted Friday, September 21, 2001, at 12:00 AM PT

    Pinsky's commentary was:

        Many people have sought poetry in response to the death,
        terror, courage, and disruption following the recent attack
        and massacre. Here are four poems: Edwin Arlington Robinson's
        "The House on the Hill," which meditates on absolute loss and
        the inadequacy of words; Marianne Moore's "What Are Years?"
        on the subject of courage ; Carlos Drummond de Andrade's
        "Souvenir of the Ancient World," in which it is normal life
        that becomes the remote, ancient time; and Czeslaw Milosz's
        defiant invocation of the good, "Incantation."

    There followed these poems:

        The House on the Hill
        by Edwin Arlington Robinson

        What Are Years?
        by Marianne Moore

        Souvenir of the Ancient World
        by Carlos Drummond de Andrade, translated by Mark Strand

        Incantation
        by Czeslaw Milosz, translated by the author and Robert Pinsky