Dear Nancy,

Yes, of course WWI and WWII veterans also suffered from what is now called
PTSD known then as shell shock, fatigue etc.  However, it IS life
threatening situations that is the initial cause according to the  DMS4. The
illness can be "triggered" by remembrances or flashbacks of the incident(s).
  PTSD is also caused by sexual abuse, rape, and physical abuse.  In each
situation one's life or the integrity of the self is threatened.  This kind
of trauma has to have occurred.  PTSD destroys one's personality and
character.  There are seventeen symptoms of PTSD and many secondary
symptoms.

War is the nadir of all human possibilities.

Bob Summers