Call for Papers
Races, Ethnicities and Nationalisms
A Panel Discussion at the Sixth International Literature and Humanities Conference,

Inscriptions in the Sand: an arts and culture conference and festival

at Eastern Mediterranean University

in Famagusta, on the island of Cyprus

May 30-June 1, 2003

We invite submissions for a Panel Discussion exploring how conceptions of race, ethnicity and nationalism enter into social, cultural, economic, political, and legal constructions/deconstructions of identity at our turn of the century. We welcome presentations dealing with specific sites and circumstances as well as broader theoretical/philosophical engagements.

            Some possible topic areas (others are welcome):

—“imagined communities” (Anderson) and the “clash of civilizations” (Huntington)

—irredentism, secession, and the boundaries of the nation-state

—“representative democracies” and the problems of political/legal representation

—The Politics of Friendship (Derrida) and The Inclusion of the Other (Habermas)

—group differences, individualism, and discourses of patriotism

—class structure, labor regulations, and race/ethnicity

—Critical Race Theory and “rights talk”

—gender, race, ethnicity and violence; the problems of the margin

—genocide, population transfer, and the international legal status of the refugee

—Orientalism, cultural imperialism (Said), and globalization

—minority rights and the concept of political equality

—ethno-linguistic or religious nationalisms and modes of assimilation/exclusion

—“white mythologies” (Derrida, Young) and “dissemiNations” (Bhabha)

—centered discourses, stereotyping, profiling, xenophobia

—“progress” vs. “preservation”: the problems of ethnology and museumization

—citizenship, and questions of local/international power and resource sharing

—NGOs, quangos, and national/international policy-making

—myths and symbols of race, ethnicity and nationalism

—globalization and national identity: ideologies of origin and destiny

—subaltern discourses (Spivak) and cultures of resistance

—ethnic conflict and the logic of self-determination/sovereignty

—the efficacy of military/economic sanctions, humanitarian intervention, and peacekeeping

—international law, sanctions, and obligations: problems of enforcement and compliance

—the role of intellectuals and/or institutions in shaping race, ethnicity, and nationalism

Prospective panelists are invited to send 250-word abstracts/proposals for 15-20 minute presentations on any aspect of these areas to [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] by 30 October, 2002. We look forward to learning about your research, and to a provocative discussion.

For more information about Inscriptions in the Sand,

please visit our website at http://www.emu.edu.tr/elh/index_confer.html.

Please also check out our links to “Individual Research Presentations” and “Creative/Performance Work.”