Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Dear colleagues,
could you please add the following call for papers to your subscription list? You'll find another copy of the text enclosed as attachment.
Thank you very much, Uwe Steiner.

Eleventh Quadrennial Congress of the International Society for Eighteenth Century Studies (ISECS), University of California, Los Angeles, 3-10 August 2003

Panel:

European Cultural Transfer in the Eighteenth Century
Cultures in Europe  Is there a European Culture?

If the process of Enlightenment was European in scope, so was the rise of the nations. The European eighteenth century saw both multiple border crossings of Enlightenment and the birth of national cultures. What does the cross-cultural illuminate about both the national cultures and the European whole? That is the intriguing prospect raised by the issue of cultural transfer. In the case of the German culture of the eighteenth century, finding its own national identity meant discarding the French ideal in order to follow the English. By the end of the century, currents reversed and it was German literature and culture that caught the interest of intellectuals in England and France.

Upon closer examination, we might be inclined to question whether there is anything like a national culture in isolation. But does this mean there is something like an integral European culture? Talking about Enlightenment in the eighteenth century we are nevertheless talking about German, French, English, or Scottish Enlightenments. Maybe we should focus more on process than on results -- specifically, the forms of exchange and influence (the media, travel, translation, literary forms) and institutions (libraries, publishers, and collections), as well, of course, as the persons behind the media and institutions.  In other words let’s talk about cultural transfer.

The panel takes up a topic recently discussed at a conference, which took place in Potsdam in May 2002, jointly sponsored by the Forschungszentrum Europäische Aufklärung, Potsdam (Germany) and the Goethe Center for Central European Studies at Rice University, Houston, TX. We invite scholars to discuss the question at issue. Please submit topics and a short outline of your paper (500 words) no later than Sept. 15 to one of the panel organizers:

Uwe Steiner                                             John H. Zammito
Associate Professor of German                   Professor of History
Rice University, Houston, TX                    Rice University, Houston, TX
ustein@rice                                             [log in to unmask]

Uwe Steiner
Associate Professor
Department of German and Slavic Studies, MS # 32
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, TX 77005-1892
        Tel.: (713) 348 3243
        Fax.: (713) 348 4863