Dear colleagues,
could you please add the following call for papers to your subscription
list? You'll find another copy of the text enclosed as attachment.
Thank you very much, Uwe Steiner.

Eleventh Quadrennial Congress of the International Society for Eighteenth
Century Studies (ISECS), University of California, Los Angeles, 3-10 August
2003

Panel:

European Cultural Transfer in the Eighteenth Century
Cultures in Europe  Is there a European Culture?

If the process of Enlightenment was European in scope, so was the rise of
the nations. The European eighteenth century saw both multiple border
crossings of Enlightenment and the birth of national cultures. What does
the cross-cultural illuminate about both the national cultures and the
European whole? That is the intriguing prospect raised by the issue of
cultural transfer. In the case of the German culture of the eighteenth
century, finding its own national identity meant discarding the French
ideal in order to follow the English. By the end of the century, currents
reversed and it was German literature and culture that caught the interest
of intellectuals in England and France.

Upon closer examination, we might be inclined to question whether there is
anything like a national culture in isolation. But does this mean there is
something like an integral European culture? Talking about Enlightenment in
the eighteenth century we are nevertheless talking about German, French,
English, or Scottish Enlightenments. Maybe we should focus more on process
than on results -- specifically, the forms of exchange and influence (the
media, travel, translation, literary forms) and institutions (libraries,
publishers, and collections), as well, of course, as the persons behind the
media and institutions.  In other words let's talk about cultural transfer.

The panel takes up a topic recently discussed at a conference, which took
place in Potsdam in May 2002, jointly sponsored by the Forschungszentrum
Europäische Aufklärung, Potsdam (Germany) and the Goethe Center for Central
European Studies at Rice University, Houston, TX. We invite scholars to
discuss the question at issue. Please submit topics and a short outline of
your paper (500 words) no later than Sept. 15 to one of the panel organizers:

Uwe Steiner                                             John H. Zammito
Associate Professor of German                   Professor of History
Rice University, Houston, TX                    Rice University, Houston, TX
ustein@rice                                             [log in to unmask]

Uwe Steiner
Associate Professor
Department of German and Slavic Studies, MS # 32
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, TX 77005-1892
         Tel.: (713) 348 3243
         Fax.: (713) 348 4863