Call for Papers: Art and Pornography; Obscenity and Voyeurism

Eastern Mediterranean University, Famagusta, Northern Cyprus.

The sixth annual Literature and Humanities Conference will be held at
Eastern Mediterranean University as part of  Inscriptions in the Sand, an
Arts and Culture festival taking place at the university and environs
between May 30th and June 1st 2003.  In conjunction with a wide selection of
music, performance and film events, discussion- friendly papers are being
solicited for our symposium.  Although we will be publishing selected
presentations from Inscriptions in the Sand, we encourage participants to
move away from the standard prewritten, "finished paper" format, towards a
more open-ended presentation, which will provoke and contribute to a genuine
exchange of research and ideas during the panel sessions. Our aim is to
create a forum and publishing venue for inspiring work in progress, where
the exchange of ideas with fellow academics participating in the conference
will contribute to the final form of participants' work.

With this in mind, we invite papers and/or presentations that examine the
current status of critical thinking on art and pornography, obscenity and
voyeurism.  Possible topics might include but are not limited to:

-           body art, tattooing, piercing and mutilation
-           erotic subjectivities
-           gym culture as voyeurism
-           Hustler vs. Playboy: real, hyper-real or dissimulation?
-            reassessing de Sade
-           ghosts, ghouls, vampires, succubi and incubi
-           Bataille, Baudrillard and seduction
-           foreign bodies: romanticising the sex of the other
-           Richard Kern, Jeff Koons, Robert Mapplethorpe
-           Richard Avedon, Helmut Newton and erotic photography
-           fashion photography and the aestheticized body
-            Foucault, AIDS and 'the death of the author'
-            pornography and history
-            pornography and its transcultural manifestations
-            pornography and critical-legal studies
-            cyberporn and digital voyeurism
-           art and porn: the history of the female nude
-           art vs. porn: "I know it when I see it"
-            homoeroticism in literature and the visual arts
-            censorship and societal norms
-            religious "inscription" and the body

Please send 250 word abstracts by 30 October 2002 to
and please visit http://www.emu.edu.tr/elh/index_confer.html  for more
information