(With all due respect to Larry Lade and his photos, and to the Missouri Bird
Records Committee) after viewing the four images purely as physical evidence
confirming the ID of Red-necked Stint, I believe they are inconclusive. This
is disappointing because I'm convinced the bird was indeed a Red-necked
Stint!

Based exclusively on these few photos, however, it could be a Little Stint,
or more likely (EGADS!!!), just an exceptionally 'warm' juvenile Western
Sandpiper.  Granted, one blurry photo makes the bird look very rufous and
promising, but the other 3 look entirely different.  Put all 4 together and
this individual isn't convincingly a Red-necked Stint - photos can 'lie',
but the 'truth' can appear with a larger series.

I recall the Wilson's Plover at Squaw Creek a few years ago - Steve Addinall
and I submitted the 'entire series' of photos to cobble together a
convincing portrayal of the bird we saw.  Not the luxury of a single 'money
shot'!!  I'm convinced the same requirement applies here.  Every single
photo of this bird is needed --- no matter how imperfect or seemingly
inconsequential.

If ANYONE has photos of this individual I BEG you to respond to this plea
and acknowledge your willingness to contribute to the 'cause'!  Without more
photos, I doubt this record could be accepted.

Chris Hobbs
Shawnee, KS

> Photos of the Red-necked Stint can now be found on the ASM web site at
>
> http://www.mobirds.org/audubon/asmhtmls/red.html
>
> or by going to the ASM home page and clicking on the line "RED-NECKED
STINT"