The drought has severely impacted Sunshine Lake, creating a lot of shorebird habitat, although the usual spots at the two ends of the oxbow are completely dry. There were hundreds of shorebirds there late this afternoon -- enough to attract a Peregrine, which I saw twice. One large group of shore birds was off the sportsman's club. Another was roughly in the middle of the lake on the north side. Exposed shoreline all along held some shore birds.

Late afternoon viewing was difficult. I was unable to find anyone up and around at the sportsman's club and had to scope from the road. I had to walk in on one of the dikes to scope the birds nearer the other end. (The were near the geese).

All told, I saw the following 12 species of shore birds. I'm confident I could have picked out two or three more species had I been there earlier and had I gotten inside the sportsman's club,

Least
Semi
Baird's
Pectoral
Spotted
Solitary
Upland (2)
both yellowlegs
Killdeer
Semi Plover
Black-bellied Plover (1)

Cooley Lake is completely dry.

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO
__________________________________ * Audubon Society of Missouri's * * Wild Bird Discussion Forum * * To unsubscribe send the message * * SIGNOFF MOBIRDS-L * * to [log in to unmask] * * To subscribe send the message * * SUBSCRIBE MOBIRDS-L your name* * to [log in to unmask] * ###################################