The Springfield Wanderlings birded Otter Slough
yesterday (8/3), and we had a good day despite the
searing heat and the lack of a hoped-for zootie.

The ploughed, flooded fields contained:
Killdeer
Semipalmated Plovers
Black-necked Stilt
Pectoral Sandpipers (multitudes)
Least Sandpipers
Semipalmated Sandpipers
Western Sandpiper - 1 (still had rufous and a huge
bill)
Stilt Sandpiper - 3
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope - 1 (it had yellow feet and black
legs, reminiscent of a Snowy Egret)

In the areas where there was more vegetation in the
water, we found:
Black-necked Stilts (numerous and vocal)
Short-billed Dowitchers (handful in alternate plumage)

Egrets and herons were everywhere, and we saw:
Great Blue Herons
Great Egrets
Snowy Egrets
Little Blue Herons
Green Herons
Black-crowned Night-Herons (2, 1st summer)

Interestingly, there was a small flock of Snow Geese
(both morphs) on the rocky bank of one of the holding
pools.  Are these birds that were wounded during the
hunting season?

Also, we saw a dark goose that seemed to match a
juvenile Greater White-fronted (because it didn't have
the white feathering around the bill).  No knob on the
bill or pot belly, and it was definitely brown, not
gray.  We were confused, though, as to what it would
be doing here at this time of year, if indeed that's
what it was.  Did anyone else see it (along
Conservation Lane)?

Well, this third of the Wanderlings is wandering off
to Texas very soon.  Have a great fall migration up
here!

David

=====
"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Romans 5:8