Thanks Bob.  Gray-Crowned is the correct critter.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Fisher [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 1:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Birding Glacier and NW Montana

Mike Grant asks where to find "Dusky-capped Rosy-finch" in Glacier Park and
NW Montana.

I'm not sure what Mike means by "Dusky-capped Rosy Finch." The Rosy Finch of
Glacier N.P. is Gray-crowned Rosy Finch. They can be found at the pass along
the road over the continental divide that connects the eastern and western
portions of the park. Ask the Ranger at the interpretive center at the pass.
Brown-capped Rosy Finch is a bird of Colorado and southern Wyoming. Black
Rosy-finch evidently ranges into southern Montana. All Rosy-finches should
be high in the alpine meadow area at this time of year. They move down hill
and spread out in winter.

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO