Around 7:00 p.m., Tues., I believe I saw the red-necked stint at the
Eggleston location, Lake Contrary, St. Joseph, MO. Other birders there also
felt it was the right bird. Bob Fisher and Edge Wade's detailed directions
were exactly right, thanks.

We stood with our scopes on the point of land past the willow and looked
east to the first sandy edge that barely shows beyond the vegetation. There
were a lot of pectoral sandpipers, killdeer, some semi-palmated sandpipers.
a solitary sandpiper, and maybe 4 or more spotted sandpipers.

We scoped for nearly 2 hours with no result. Then I started watching
(through the vegetation) this one tiny piper that appeared a bit larger than
a nearby least S., but still small. It fed slowly and most of the time with
it rear pointed toward us. But it just seemed to have a darker outline, more
distinct, than the others in the same position. In following this bird, I
caught glimpses of rufous on face and neck and upper back, with grayer
tertials. The legs were black, bill black and stout.

Thanks Larry for finding it, to all for identifying it. Two hours in the hot
sun was too much for me, but I'm glad I hung with it. Hope someone posts
pictures that were taken earlier today.

Did not see the piping plover. There were several black tern, each one
different coloring and great egrets.
Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay